Plundering Farming Villages

DeletedUser

Based on what I read so far, I think if the developer make it so increase strength increase both a village's strength + its mood towards the player will help alleviate the situation.

Right now, there is not much incentive to strengthen a village, unless your mood is low and your troops are sitting around, idle. Those farm villages are "public goods" and the situation we have is a prisoner's dilemma. Unless most to all players on the island cooperate and raise strength together, the people who did not bother to raise strength and can afford to repeatedly loot those villages will be the ones coming out ahead of the pack.

It's rewarding more greedy, selfish behavior while more "noble", selfless players will suffer.

Perhaps split the current strength result to 1/3 improve mood, 2/3 increase strength or something along those lines will provide enough benefit for players to increase strength on their own, when they drive a farm villages mood down too much, it's in their self interest to go and increase strength.

DeletedUser

Based on what I read so far, I think if the developer make it so increase strength increase both a village's strength + its mood towards the player will help alleviate the situation.

Right now, there is not much incentive to strengthen a village, unless your mood is low and your troops are sitting around, idle. Those farm villages are "public goods" and the situation we have is a prisoner's dilemma. Unless most to all players on the island cooperate and raise strength together, the people who did not bother to raise strength and can afford to repeatedly loot those villages will be the ones coming out ahead of the pack.

It's rewarding more greedy, selfish behavior while more "noble", selfless players will suffer.

Perhaps split the current strength result to 1/3 improve mood, 2/3 increase strength or something along those lines will provide enough benefit for players to increase strength on their own, when they drive a farm villages mood down too much, it's in their self interest to go and increase strength.

Actually this farming system is very intresting. maybe most intresting part of the game.

Anyway, i think you are wrong 2 times:

1. the one that strengthens the close farms is actualy forcing others to farm long distance. A selfish player loses. Strengthening a close village takes very little time if you have the needed troops.

2. As I said, if the village is low on strength and you dont have lots of troops -and nobody has 3-400 swords now - strengthening and farming in 2 successive attacks will not work well. But I guess you noticed this already.

DeletedUser

On my island, we are two players in top 25 and many players who are active and we d`ont have any problems with this farming system. My troops come back with maximum resource from attacks because i understand how this system works.
I like this system because it is more interesting than the TW farming system.
You must attack all the farm villages on your islands by rotation to have succes and not attack the same village every time, because this is not efficient.
Tip 1: d`ont be naive and increase strength to maximum on a single farm village ;):D
Tip 2: d`ont rush to make a huge army because the strength and mood go down much faster when you attack with a bigger army, also from a farm village you can take maximum less than 10000 resources.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

We don't quite have this problem on our island because we don't have a lot of troops yet. I don't have a lot of troops sitting around, idle; but I decided to see if I can duplicate that increase strength bug and played with it a bit. After all, it's just beta.

Until we get enough troops to really massacre the mood, right now, I don't have any strength problems by simply rotate my visit to visit all 8 farms on my island. I'm also far away from my farms, about 17-19 minutes by swordsman to my closest farms and about 47 minutes to the farthest ones by swordsman. Due to the distance and my small # of troops, there is no incentive for me to strength the farms at all because I can't even loot say 2000, 3000 resources in 1 trip. Even a village with 30% strength is fine since my troops can't carry that much yet.

Although from playing with strengthening, I notice if I increase the strength enough, same amount of swordsman sent, I suffer a bit less mood loss with the same # of swordsman if the strength is quite high. That'll be the only motivation for me to increase strength right now.

Later on, when I can loot 6000 resources or more per trip, I'll have a lot of incentive to improve the strength, until then, not really.

DeletedUser

Although from playing with strengthening, I notice if I increase the strength enough, same amount of swordsman sent, I suffer a bit less mood loss with the same # of swordsman if the strength is quite high. That'll be the only motivation for me to increase strength right now.

That is no little motivation. Yhat is huge motivation.

DeletedUser

I like the farming system as it is, it greatly encourages the building of troops early in order to strengthen and loot all the villages available to you.
As to strengthening vs looting, early on I will always loot while there is any village on my island worth looting - there is no point strengthening a village for the benefit of your enemies, unless the benefits to yourself are greater.

Every village on my island has had very low strength for some time, and I have been dividing my forces 2/3 to strengthen, then 1/3 to loot 5 seconds later. It does work, and gives very little to your opponents. Now that I have more soldiers I have the opportunity to begin strengthening the villages in earnest however, and will only loot when both mood and strength are high.

DeletedUser

I need to test more, but I hit 2 villages with identical forces, village one is at 7x str, village 2 at 4x str. mood loss was about 28% less at village 1, str loss was about 50% less at village 1. Given more data, we can probably plot and figure out the mood & strength loss formula.

Too bad I'm not really close to any farm on my island so perhaps someone who's next door to a farm can test this better than me since it takes a while for my troops to boost any farm on my island due to distance (until I can build a bigger force)

DeletedUser

the more strengths at farming village you have the lower is the reduction of both mood and strengths. so it is necessary for you to farm villages with greater strengths because it gives you the possibility to farm it again without great loss of mood. so if there is village on the island with huge strengths just loot it, if there is not it's better to divide troops and send 1-2 strengthening attacks and 1 looting after them.
before reset I was just testing and noticed if you strengthen farm up till 100% the village begin to loose those strengths down till 50%, the speed of decreasing seemed the same as the speed of increasing normally (without strengthening). so if you want to strengthen villa till maximum do not rush to have 100% - it's useless if you have low mood but if the mood is high it's better, because the reduction of it is very small

DeletedUser

1. if you hit a villa under 60% mood, no mater the kind of attack, you have a chance to lose troops. The higer the strength of the villa, the more troops will defend.

2. Noone should farm under 90% strength and below 60% mood. Hitting a 10% strength villa with half troops to strengthen and a real attack with the other half is not a solution. Strength does not go up enough in order for you to have full hauls. As a bonus, the mood and strength goes down much faster at low strength. On the long run that is a losing bet. still, most people are doing it :) And I smile. And build my army many times faster than them :)

I'm not 100% sure did I understood you text rightly, but your point was that no-one should attack on village which have 10% strength or/and 60% mood? Does that one include diplomatic?

I'm asking this because I'm curious about that is there any "rule" how low I should let moral go?

DeletedUser

It all depends on the size of your army. The bigger your army, the more mood/strength get reduced in an attack. Right now when your armies are still small, staying above 65% mood and 15% strength is probably a good idea. When your armies get bigger (say 100+ units) stay above 75% mood and 25% strength.

DeletedUser

I've noticed that even a 1 sword attack will decrease strength by 1%. Seems like you could just cripple an enemy's close-by farms by sending your swords 1 at a time, though I guess this is bad for you too.