QUESTION - Breakthrough attack specs

• Thread starter DeletedUser4422
  • Start date

DeletedUser4422

Hi!

Breakthrough attacks as written in the wiki itself are 'rarely used, due to the fact that if you ever want to take the city you must clear the navy'. It is true but in some situations it is worth of using it i.e. when there is a huge amount of land units in a city. BUT.....

The wiki is not clear enough about this type of attack and our community (about 200 best and mostly veteran HU players) thinks it needs more specification, because we DO NOT know how is it really working, we know only that
Researching Breakthrough will enable the ability to declare a special attack, where ships are put into a formation that protects transport ships, but sacrifices 50% of the naval attack power. It can have its advantages; the ability to double the chances to get the shore and damage land support, for yourself or an alliance mate though will leave the opposing player with a strong naval, whilst your may be depleted.

But we DO NOT know - what percentage of transport ships survive with a breakthrough attack according to the defending and attacking naval ships power ratio. Yes, we could invest a lot of work to investigate that with the simulator, but devs could pass us these data in no time.

CONCLUSION - Breakthrough attacks need more explicit specification in the wiki.

DeletedUser4422

PS - I am posting that in the BETA forum because as I exprerienced it is way more actively used and mods respond not after days or weeks but hours :) @* Arci *

yonut258

Game support
We cannot give away the formulas used to calculate what happens during an attack, whether it is a normal attack or a breakthrough one. This is exactly why the simulator exists: so that you can see for yourself what combination of troops works the best in different scenarios because there are a lot of variables that can influence the end result

DeletedUser4336

dobss- i think the description above is badly worded
breakthrough is not about clearing/ saving transports; that's not it's purpose and you won't kill any trans if a single lu is still alive in the city
i may have misunderstood some of your question (no they aren't giving you the formula) but it's about knowing when to use/ not to use BT
you have to look at the number of bir/ tri in the harbor and whether your wave will "breakthrough" (correct percentage) so your OLU can hit
the point of BT is to get past a bir "wall" to the lu
if there are 10k bir you never use BT... even with BT you aren't going to save trans hitting this; you need ls nukes
1k, depends on what you send and you really have to know what you are doing and what is in the city; no blind hitting
200 bir with a stack of dlu, use BT... you'll get through and hit well
it's about not having to clear the harbor before you get to the city
in terms of saving your trans and getting through, big bir wall, no chance and small wall better chance
sorry if this is a repeat of what those vets told you
also, this is just my opinion and i know many will disagree but wanted to give you some answer as to how to use it in a meaningful way

Last edited by a moderator: