How exactly does the battle/conquer system work?

DeletedUser

Vague (and also incomplete wiki), so I'm going to ask here

I got some questions about how the battle system works...

When you're trying to conquer a new city (not an empty spot that is), I know that it'll take some time (8 hours now?) before the city is yours and before the actual battle takes place... or not?

Am I right to think that the troops don't fight until the end of the countdown (that is the troops present in the city vs. the attacking troops)?

If I am, that means it leaves 8 hours for people to help. So, to kill an enemy siege, people have to send troops.

WHAT kind of troops? Offensive troops to kill the enemy offensive troops? or defensive troops BECAUSE the enemy has offensive troops?

Sending defensive troops in an attack on a city is suicide, but is attacking an enemy's troop that are sieging a city considered the same?

is supporting a player who is getting conquered evne possible? if so, what happens?

What about the attacker? Once his attack has reached the city and the siege has started, can he do anything? Can he add troops, for example, he sends colony ship + offensive ships + offensive troops from city A to enemy, and once the attack has hit, he sends more offensive troops and ships from city B to the same enemy, and when they arrive they join the troops of city A?

Or would that be considered as "helping" the enemy city, and kill your own troops?