https://forum.beta.grepolis.com/showthread.php?2721-Changelog-2-114

I hope yakamoz only forgot to create a feedback thread, and I hope open and candid feedback is still welcome here (in the German forums it isn´t at the moment).

- Technical improvement for faster town switching

Sounds good. There have been several issues concerning town switching returning every once in a while, and I would highly appreciate a durable solution. For those interested in the details of this technical improvement: What exactly has been done to achieve a better performance?

- Since foundation commands cannot be canceled, we implemented a confirmation dialog when starting the command.

With this version we implemented a confirmation dialog when starting a new city foundation. Many players requested this feature since the foundation once started cannot be canceled.

Well, that´s a weird one. No, the players did not request this feature in the first place. With update 2.112, however, the following (and imho completely unnecessary) change was made:

Game Design decided to allow founding cities only with your colo ship without the need to send additional units. This counts only for founding cities as there is no attack happening.

Before this change was made, it was impossible to send a CS unintentionally while simply checking the CS travel times to unknown and uninhabited territories - even if the shock of (for example^^) being stung by a wasp, being slapped by your partner complaining that you are not paying enough attention to him/her, or even getting caught by your boss while playing Grepolis during office hours made you jump and press buttons you did not want to press, the system would have given you an error message, informing you that you must send at least one land unit along with your colony ship.

We had been living with this simple solution for years, and we had taught "generations" of new players why a colony ship can never sail alone: There must be a master-builder, a governor accompanying the CS and its crew and supervising the building works on those distant shores and administrating the new community rising there. Nobody ever questioned that story, and I really enjoyed that explanation when I was a beginner...^^ (Yes, we had enough time for listening to the stories and advices of other players back in the good old times - no quests and other stuff keeping us busy all the time)

Well, now that game design decided to spare the costs for that master-builder and to let the unlearned staff of the CS sail alone into an uncertain future, that simple solution was gone and had to be replaced by a crutch: The new confirmation dialog introduced with this update 2.114 is - imo - an inelegant solution for a problem caused by the unnecessary change made in update 2.112 (and not by player requests as stated in the changelog).

I had explained all this in detail to the game designer responsible for both changes some weeks ago - but he did not see my point. So here we are stranded with a brand new confirmation dialog. Well, we have survived worse changes, and we will survive this one as well.

- If you minimize the "Highlight Options" window and switch between the map views, the window stays minimized now.

I still don´t know why these highlight options are popping up at all when I am changing to the strategic map. They might be a useful tool, but as with any other tool I wish to decide when and if I want to use it. To make it more clear: I don´t want to stumble over a hammer in my hallway each time when I come back home, and I don´t want to have to put it aside (and cannot even put it back into the toolbox for good) each of the many times I don´t want to use it immediately. I will retrieve that hammer from the toolbox only when I really need it.

The hammer will now stay where I put it aside after stumbling over it, and will not throw itself in my way each time I pass it as it did before. Thus the change is an improvement, but it is not yet what I would have expected as a reasonable solution.

- We reduced the starting volume of all Grepolis sounds. If you want to increase the volume, you can do so in the sound settings.

And so all the players using the ingame sound effects as an on-line attack warner (but not reading the changelog immediately) will be surprised to find their cities cleared and subject to ongoing revolts or conquests because they had relied on the sound volume they are used to. Thank you, Inno! :(

Last edited: