Time

DeletedUser

EVERYONE gets times wrong in this game

i suggest a new BBCode [time][/time]

i can then put in my time i.e. [time]00:01:37[/time]
and people in different time zones with daylight saving on or off will see the correct time
people won't have to do time arithmetic to get their support/attack to land at the right time
grepolis will have to do a bit of calculating in the background to work out UTC 0 from the time zone of the poster and display the time in the time zone of the viewer but they have to do that now for most of the times in the game

it could be extended to have a zone in it i.e. [time=UTC+1]01:01:37[/time] to indicate another zone (server time in this case) and other people will see it in their own local time

another extension would be to have times clickable and the BBCode is displayed in a text box like is done for the [island][/island] BBCode in the island info box so that the [time=UTC]00:01:37[/time] can be copied and pasted into another post

if you are awarding gold for suggestions i think this one should be worth at least 1000 gold ;)

as well as the above the settings section should have 2 check boxes on the time zone section of the general tab

[v] Automatically adjust times for daylight saving
[v] Display times in the 24 hour clock

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

that an old suggestion that i did in the german forum so i would get the gold^^
and the best would be when the time in the [time] bbcode would be saved in utc+0 but when edit the time, it should be shown in your local time, that way it would be easy for a second person to edit the time without knowing the creators timezone

and for the 24h or am/pm clock, i think 24h is the best clock, since you cant make a mistake like starting your attack at 1:00 Am when it was Pm, but i'm german so the 24h clock is normal for me and i can never remember if a time was AM or PM
the best would be when you could chose it, in the game settings since the most annoying is that both times are used ingame

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

but i suggested it here first so i should get the gold ;)

all times would be stored in UTC internally and displayed in local time
i think i said that

i think all times should be in 24 hour
it is only a problem for all the americans, who can't count past 12 :)
"because it is military time and we don't do that"
the rest of the world understands the 24 hour clock because, um, well, there are 24 hours in a day not 12 :D

DeletedUser

All times used in this game should be GMT+1 = servertime. Period. No option should be available to change it in your settings. Also, all time formats used in this game should be reduced to one. Currently we have 4.

Everything = the same = no more confusion.
Works in TribalWars, it can work here.

DeletedUser

All times used in this game should be GMT+1 = servertime. Period. No option should be available to change it in your settings. Also, all time formats used in this game should be reduced to one. Currently we have 4.

Everything = the same = no more confusion.
Works in TribalWars, it can work here.

well if you want to be a real luddite we should scrap all this computer stuff and play the game by pigeon post

we have all this computer power at our fingertips so we should use it to make the game more enjoyable
the fun part is attacking things and smashing things up, the community you get in alliances by working together, the feeling of achievement at conquering a foe, oh and the pretty graphics
the biggest obstacles to the first 3 of those are
working out the time with someone in a different time zone
or working with pact members that quote times in UTC+1 when they actually mean UTC+1+1
or members that are in areas that don't have daylight saving
or where daylight saving comes into effect on different dates (usa)
or when the server fails to change to daylight saving for 3 days after it has changed in the real world
or people that just can't do simple maths
or people that are good at maths and have had too much vino at 3am in the morning

this proposal would take away all that pain and let us all enjoy all of the strategy and fighting the enemy without having to fight the game

DeletedUser

everyone easy

these are only suggestions
if you can point out negative or positive points about a suggestion don't post
and HaekelHansi you are making a completely new suggestion so you should create a new thread

DeletedUser

this proposal would take away all that pain and let us all enjoy all of the strategy and fighting the enemy without having to fight the game

I deeply apologize for suggesting something that would make life easier. I'll try not to do that again :p

DeletedUser

all the people that suggest that everyone should set their time zone to UTC+1 probably live in europe and don't really understand the problem anyway

to tell someone in asia that your attack will land at 7pm UTC+1 is totally useless unless you also tell them that you have daylight saving on or off
as they don't have daylight saving time

same in iceland
they are in the UTC time zone with london etc
they don't have daylight saving time
so for 6 months of the year they are one hour different from london

DeletedUser

It doesn't matter what time zone the gameclock is set to, just as long it displays the same time on every PC worldwide with no option to change that. Suggesting UTC+1 was because Innogames resides in that timezone, all support tools are set to that time and it would cause less hassles if the times were synched.

Why would you want to set your gameclock to your local time anyway? You do have your local time being displayed in the windows taskbar, I'm sure other operating systems are also capable of this. So what's the point?

DeletedUser

it helps when you need to start an attack, when your attack should arrive at 18:30 UTC+1 and your travel time is 2 hours that you remember 16:30 as a start time but in your time zone that would be 14:30, so you would login 2 hours past the start time, so you always need to calculate(well its easy when you can the basics of addition and subtraction^^), but still annoying and can lead to mistakes and if you need to normally subtract 2 hours for your timezone but than thanks to the daylight saving time it changes to 3 hours, than some attacks will come to late until you notice why and probably many will never notice it and fill a bug report of an strange occurrences of an missing hour^^

DeletedUser

here is a better idea

set all the clocks in your home to server time UTC+1
or UTC+2 if the sun is shining
:smile: