More customizable forum

AbstractGR

Calydonian Boar
I was checking something on the forum lately, specifically the "Functions" button. I had some improvements in mind, which I think are pretty easy to implement...
1) Give the option to customize the order of the threads (by last update, size, name) or as you can do with the tabs, let the moderator to manually choose the place of each thread and let it be fixed that way.
2) Give the ability of the forum moderator to be able to hide threads not just forums. For example, one may want to fix a thread but without constantly being spammed to everyone as a notification and when ready it can be turned to unhidden.

I don't think such changes are, to say, vital or important but it would be a good update for a more usable forum, and I don't believe they are too difficult to implement, since such abilities exist ( internal forum access is given to people with such attribute, the sorting of tabs can be organized by the moderator and not only automatically, cities have a sorting algorithm ordering them by their names which could be another topic about customization).

a-tla-s

Pegasus
Alliance Forum as it is has two levels of accessibility; one for every member of the alliance and one "hidden" level, for alliance council etc.
I think it would be useful to add one more level.
Alliances have plain members, trusted members, and administration members. The lowest level of accessibility should be for new or not trustworthy members, while some topics that refer to very sensitive matters should be for very few eyes only. Thus, a third, intermediate level is useful.
If this customization is not too complicated, it would add to better administration of alliances.

athenakazuo

Manticore
what about a function to move threads if it's put in the wrong tab?
for example someone posts defense report in the offense tab, is there a way that can be moved without having to copy paste the entire entry?

what about a function to move threads if it's put in the wrong tab?
for example someone posts defense report in the offense tab, is there a way that can be moved without having to copy paste the entire entry?

Yes, mods can move threads to another forum tab.

Mark the thread(s) you want to move (by clicking on the thread´s icon), open "Functions", and select the target tab from the drop-down menu on the right-hand side. A click on the button "Move to" will then move the marked threads to the selected target tab.

chivpkjov77.jpg

Last edited:
I am opposed to the idea of ordering topics because the current order is the one optimized for the most interest. The most recently updated topic is located above. If, however, the moderator wants to keep an older topic as fixed, use the important checkbox.
Creating multiple types of order would just be confusing, in my opinion.

The other option can already be solved by closing a topic to comments, editing it and then reopening it. In this way the appropriate changes will be carried out in peace.

The third option I have seen is that of the three levels and each time I find myself at odds. If an alliance doesn't trust its members it's not an alliance, in my opinion.

The issue of moving topics is a bit more complex. It is true that there is the possibility of moving them, but it is equally true that this possibility exists only if the sections of the forum are not shared.

athenakazuo

Manticore
Yes, mods can move threads to another forum tab.

Mark the thread(s) you want to move (by clicking on the thread´s icon), open "Functions", and select the target tab from the drop-down menu on the right-hand side. A click on the button "Move to" will then move the marked threads to the selected target tab.

chivpkjov77.jpg
Oh, ok. On the US servers it doesn't offer those functions.

It does - but as I said, you must have mod rights in your alliance to see them. And, as mentioned by moonlight900, it also doesn´t work in forum tabs shared with allies.

athenakazuo

Manticore
Oh, that is unfortunate that it doesn't work if it is a shared forums.
I do see what you are talking about now though; I had to look harder since I didn't know that it doesn't work if it's shared.
I don't understand why that would matter if it is the alliance that owns the tab can control it, but that is just my thoughts.

Oh, that is unfortunate that it doesn't work if it is a shared forums.
I do see what you are talking about now though; I had to look harder since I didn't know that it doesn't work if it's shared.
I don't understand why that would matter if it is the alliance that owns the tab can control it, but that is just my thoughts.

If it were possible to move topics from shared forums, it would mean that it would be possible for moderators of any alliance to subtract topics from a topic shared by several alliances to a private section of a single alliance.

However, there are some tricks to republish the function on shared forums such as replacing what is written in the spoiler instead of one of the <a> </a> sections.

<li id="move">
<a class="button " href="#" onclick="Forum.moveThreads()">
<span class="left"><span class="right">
<span class="middle">Sposta in</span>
</span></span>
<span style="clear:both;"></span>
</a> <select name="forum[forum_id]" style="margin-top:2px;">
<option value="code section forum" selected="selected">name forum</option>
</select>
</li>

For a tutorial just follow the video

AbstractGR

Calydonian Boar
I am opposed to the idea of ordering topics because the current order is the one optimized for the most interest. The most recently updated topic is located above. If, however, the moderator wants to keep an older topic as fixed, use the important checkbox.
Creating multiple types of order would just be confusing, in my opinion.

The other option can already be solved by closing a topic to comments, editing it and then reopening it. In this way the appropriate changes will be carried out in peace.

The third option I have seen is that of the three levels and each time I find myself at odds. If an alliance doesn't trust its members it's not an alliance, in my opinion.

The issue of moving topics is a bit more complex. It is true that there is the possibility of moving them, but it is equally true that this possibility exists only if the sections of the forum are not shared.
This sounds odd at best. Why 'hack' your way to sort tabs and threads. A basic sorting would be easy, depending of how the forum threads are being fetched. Plus, some threads might me important, and some more important. A thread that is used as blueprint is most important and needs to be on top of the tab always, but an attack that should be immediately dealt with is important but still shouldn't be on top.
Another addition could be for the threads and tabs to be colour coded. I know it seems odd, but if you think about it, it makes sense, and it is not that difficult (I assume) to be implemented.
Moving topics could be tricky, and I get it if it cannot be implemented correctly, but this should be a feature for the better optimization of the forum. Forum is a really important asset of an alliance, and usually not enough. I don't know how Innogames handles 3rd party companies, but it would be awesome to mix Discord with Forum (Discord f.e.) for the coordination of teams. Again, I know how it sounds, but if you think about it, if Grepolis was to improve the forums and coordination of teams, this would be a good direction... but of course, not everything is possible, and I get it, but 'hacking' your way to have your forum organized shouldn't be the norm...

Last edited:
This sounds odd at best. Why 'hack' your way to sort tabs and threads. A basic sorting would be easy, depending of how the forum threads are being fetched. Plus, some threads might me important, and some more important. A thread that is used as blueprint is most important and needs to be on top of the tab always, but an attack that should be immediately dealt with is important but still shouldn't be on top.
Another addition could be for the threads and tabs to be colour coded. I know it seems odd, but if you think about it, it makes sense, and it is not that difficult (I assume) to be implemented.
Moving topics could be tricky, and I get it if it cannot be implemented correctly, but this should be a feature for the better optimization of the forum. Forum is a really important asset of an alliance, and usually not enough. I don't know how Innogames handles 3rd party companies, but it would be awesome to mix Discord with Forum (Discord f.e.) for the coordination of teams. Again, I know how it sounds, but if you think about it, if Grepolis was to improve the forums and coordination of teams, this would be a good direction... but of course, not everything is possible, and I get it, but 'hacking' your way to have your forum organized shouldn't be the norm...

You got confused, I explained why a topic on a shared section cannot be moved and I repeat that this is a very right principle. At the same time I have provided a solution that is comfortable enough to be able to do it anyway, even if I do not know if it can be classified as a bug, perhaps @Arci will be able to clarify it.

I believe that inserting such a level of complexity in the management of the forum is useless and counterproductive. I would be more supportive of posting a report notifying that I have received a tag on the forum