Hiden catapult bonus

alphahydranoid

Minotaur
Recently, I played with the simulator and discovered something very interesting.
With 100k + land units bunkers, off with catapults do not affect wall in any way, so their basic function does not work and theoretically perform like slingers with 7 population attack.
From this it follows that if we have a bunker, say 80,000 swordsmen, 50,000 archers, 50,000 hoplites, instead of attacking with 1,500 slingers and 50 catapults, which theoretically has a 39500 attack, it's more profitable to attack with 2250 slingers, which means having 51750.
But for unexplained reasons, the mix of slingers and catapults inflicts greater losses.
:
The settings I used in the simulator are a premium and a phalanx for both attacker and defender, and only for defender: wall 25 tower, and only for attacker heroic force.

And the question is simple, although I am afraid that the answers will not be known, because it is kind of "the riddle of programmers".

What is the hidden bonus of catapults, how does it work. Will it increase the units' attack power, or weaken the wall's defenses, even if it doesn't destroy it?(I assume it weaken walls % defence bonus)
In general, it's about a formula I could count on.

S.G-1

Cerberus
Heroic force to attack slingers + catapults ? Aim of huntress has more effect ;)
no matter ..
hiden bonus are catapult rocks .. which miss a wall and hit defenders ;) slingers using "small rocks" instead of catapults ;)

As far as I remember, the behaviour of catapults is a special one, since they have two effects, one before the land battle, and one after.

Before the fight, they reduce the (calculated) effect of the wall, so that the troops accompagnying the catapults will be able to cause more damage. This first calculation will be uninfluenced by any defense bonusses the defender might have active in his city (although they will apply for the land fight). After the fight, a second calculation takes place, and the percentage of defending troops destroyed in the land fight will determine how many wall levels will be actually destroyed.

I will go in more detail when I find the time - we have some tables and examples collected in the German forum.

Last edited: