Filter for finding certain messages

a-tla-s

Pegasus
Greetings fellow gamers,
we all know how difficult it is to find an old message you need to look into.. At least those who send and receive many messages, such as diplomats, leaders etc.
Wouldn't be simple enough that messages have s search box where one can write a player's name and see all messages between him and the said player?

Alternatively, there could be an alphabetical filter (A->Z index), like there is a chronological now, according to players' name, so that one can scroll down to letter he is searching and find a certain message from a certain player...

I think this is very good value-to-cost tool. What do you think? 8-)

DeletedUser2458

Definitely! The whole PM system imho needs to be revamped. A search box, group conversations...

This suggestion has been made several times during the past few years, and I know that it had been forwarded to the devs in spring 2013 (!) with ticket ID [GP-8302], see also here: https://de.forum.grepolis.com/index...chfunktion-in-persönlichen-nachrichten.25433/

Unfortunately the Grepolis team has never really understood the importance of communication in the game (otherwise we would not have those awful and useless application forms in the game replacing proper communication before joining an alliance/inviting a player). Neither alliance forum nor message system in the game are sufficient, and we have been asking for improvements time and again. Do you remember the day when we all were shocked and baffled by the almost complete deletion of our message inboxes with update 2.64 on June 25, 2014 (I will never forget that day!^^). Maybe they thought we would not need any search boxes or filters if all messages older than 30 days are deleted...^^

Jokes aside - I would really appreciate any improvement of the message system (and the alliance forum, btw.).

DeletedUser4336

totally agree and think this would be an easy fix compared to the game itself
cheers for the post, atlas

A search option is definitely needed. at least similar to the forum search if not the one that has been proposed.
Or at least be able to set some filters to find what you need to find....
Currently having more that 40 pages of pms in various folders (to make locating them easier) makes it really difficult to find what you need.

Do you remember the day when we all were shocked and baffled by the almost complete deletion of our message inboxes with update 2.64 on June 25, 2014 (I will never forget that day!^^).

And the even worst part was when they recovered them and suddenly you were having 9-10 thousands of unread reports which needed to be selected in blocks of 25 (page limitation) and be marked as read
smiley_emoticons_motz.gif
...... that was even more painful!!!!!
smiley_emoticons_grepo_pacman.gif

a-tla-s

Pegasus
A search option is definitely needed. at least similar to the forum search if not the one that has been proposed.
Or at least be able to set some filters to find what you need to find....
Currently having more that 40 pages of pms in various folders (to make locating them easier) makes it really difficult to find what you need.

And the even worst part was when they recovered them and suddenly you were having 9-10 thousands of unread reports which needed to be selected in blocks of 25 (page limitation) and be marked as read
smiley_emoticons_motz.gif
...... that was even more painful!!!!!
I painfully remember that. It took me a couple of days to scroll down all these "unread" messages and fix them lol

German CM Faey has just told me that the ticket [GP-8302] still exists, but has "low priority" assigned to it.

That´s very weird. Four years lost...

DeletedUser4336

but the fact that a ticket is around for FOUR years and is just sitting there says so much about how inno does business
*sigh*

Arci

Community Manager
Grepolis Team
There is a huge amount of good ideas, that can be some smaller improvements or some bigger ones, but the days have a finite number of hours.

We take care of every single suggestion, but it's impossible to implement it in the game the week later, as it's impossible to do everything as there are priorities (so something can wait 4, 5, 15 years in the backlog).

I agree that this idea is good, but it's as good as many many other ideas that could be implemented. One by one, we're trying to add all these features and improvements, but not everything suggested will automatically be added, as I said, because the developers can't work 36 hours on a single day (even if it would be cool).

It´s quite simple: The basic ingame communication system(s) are not working smoothly, but instead are eating hours and hours of the time we could spend playing Grepolis or doing other nice things. When the basic communication system is a nuisance, with communication being one of the main pillars of Grepolis gameplay, I would rather have the devs working 2 hours a day on what really matters, instead of 24 hours a day on unnecessary or even harmful additions.

I do respect their time and effort, but they should respect ours as well.

DeletedUser4336

arci, i would just say that similar requests have been made on the German, EN, and US servers, perhaps others
now it appears here (perhaps b4 now, idk)
an idea wished by so many should not be a low priority
i understand this change doesn't bring in more money or make the game look spiffier BUT
if it would make life easier, that would keep more ppl interested

i also respect time and effort of the devs
and also your time and effort putting up with complaints and whining (speaking only of myself) :)

a-tla-s

Pegasus
There is a huge amount of good ideas, that can be some smaller improvements or some bigger ones, but the days have a finite number of hours.

We take care of every single suggestion, but it's impossible to implement it in the game the week later, as it's impossible to do everything as there are priorities (so something can wait 4, 5, 15 years in the backlog).

I agree that this idea is good, but it's as good as many many other ideas that could be implemented. One by one, we're trying to add all these features and improvements, but not everything suggested will automatically be added, as I said, because the developers can't work 36 hours on a single day (even if it would be cool).

Grepodevs working:

smiley_emoticons_lol.gif

Ok, I understand that, as I understand that this can be used as a long term excuse for not dealing with the issue.
I also understand that developers - that is, INNO - might have a different agenda than the players. BUT, there is at least one common interest: players staying in the game and being happy with it.
smiley_emoticons_nicken.gif

Having said that, I warn you (a joke) that I have been coming with another magnificent idea that could improve the game-play along the first 6-12 months in worlds with relatively high speed. But how could I post it if a much more simple idea might take - as you say - 4, 5, 15 years?
smiley_emoticons_blush-pfeif.gif

Arci

Community Manager
Grepolis Team
There are many and many suggestions being implemented every changelog, that's the point in doing it.
Just a little example, with today's changelog we added the malus detail from the IQ, as requested by the community.
Last week we introduced slingers as IQ rewards, as requested.
The bug report bar is now black, as requested.

The situation is simple, we get 1000 requests and we have time to make just 5 of them -> Someone will feel unsatisfied, we're very sorry but we're doing our best. Keep sharing your opinions, but do not expect that everytning will be done, because this doesn't happen anywhere.

There's now a single game/community/town/reality that does everything the community asks, because it's just impossible.

Apart from both (Arci and us) are right to what they say, there is another parameter that most people ignore on suggestions.
And that is the way to be implemented code wise, meaning how easy or difficult it is to manipulate existing code and add required features in it and if this going to be cost effective in terms of functionality.

So for example the change of bar color might be just changing the color variable of the box (i.e. replacing some numbers) adding for example filters or any otehr change, might need to have the whole module redesigned from scratch!!! which might lower priority so as more changes on module are gathered and make change worth to deal with it regardless if some clients just give up as there will be other new clients to turn up.

a-tla-s

Pegasus
I understand both *arci* and galanoulis aspects, they make sense. But the truth is that I find hard to believe that adding slingers as a reward to quests is more important than giving players the tool for finding certain messages. Sorry. Unless, there is another problem that has to do with the code.
Anyway, I do not intend to stuck on this, we are just making conversations that hopefully will be useful to developers for a better game future.
smiley_emoticons_grepolove.gif

DeletedUser4336

agreed, arci, we are talking here not throwing a tantrum
compared to the personal attacks on the country servers, i picture us all sipping tea/ wine/ beer/ a drink on the back porch and having a discussion

while sometimes i wish the devs would tackle one hard problem instead of fixing 12 smaller ones, i understand how it's easy to do the simpler ones and then it looks like more is being done and more people should be satisfied
i think a point we are trying to make is that though this may be a big request, it seems to be "universal" (yes overstating) whereas some of the smaller things satisfy fewer people
while i greatly appreciate my formerly red, now black banner, i could have lived with it being red forever
but i speak for me
the person/ people pushing for that change probably thought that was the most critical problem here

that I find hard to believe that adding slingers as a reward to quests is more important than giving players the tool for finding certain messages.

It is not more important, I guess it is easier to code it and that is hard.

One of the very important thinks you need in an game like grepolis, is the communication between each other. Unfortunately, the communication tools in this game can be much more improved and that's an important way, to have much more fun in the game.

And please, I do not mean pre-printed invitations. It could be much more, for Grepolis, and for the next new PvP Game with IG.