athenakazuo

Manticore
After looking it over, it looks the same as the Pandora's Box Event, except possibly renamed rewards and the name of the event.

Let´s start at the beginning.

First of all, why for heaven´s sake the start of this "new" event was announced one hour after the event had started? Is it not possible any more to inform Beta players in time, not even regarding events?

Why is a "new" event not playable via the new app? I was on mobile only yesterday, confronted with an unannounced event and confused players asking me how to deal with it. It might use the mechanics of the (not very popular) Pandora event but seems more complicated (at least at first sight). Back on my computer today, even my first impression was "What the heck? I don´t have enough time to figure this .... out!" until I noticed the very clear hints. But please remember that not all Beta players are fluent in English.

However...

We haven't had a winter season event in Grepolis in a long time and players have been asking for one. Here it is!

Well, there was a seasonal event (Tyche´s Advent Calendar) leading towards Christmas & Co for years (from 2013 to 2019 to be precise) , quite long (24 days) but very simple and convenient for the busy time in December. You had not to give it much thought but still its graphics created a seasonal atmosphere, without interfering with the holidays themselves (or respective Grepolis peace times). Nothing wrong with it.

I don´t know who had the "great idea" to replace that event with a completely neutral "Tyche´s Wheel of Fortune" in 2020 with its slightly crappy graphics., which was overlapping both holidays and peace times. That caused some disappointment but many people really were speechless and shocked when, in 2021, InnoGames´ answer to that disappointment was to bring "Tyche´s Wheel of Battle" as a "seasonal" surprise.... and all this amidst the pandemic (and while Russian troops were closing in on the borders of a neighbouring country). I don´t need Christian symbols in a game - but I would at least have expected some empathy and thought.

So, when I first read you were working on a Dionysia event, I immediately thought of spring (March/April) and maybe a replacement for the hen. It really did not strike me as a winter festival at all, and adding two candles to Dionysus´ face in the event icon and even using recyceled Christmas decorations from the 2012 Christmas feast on Olympos (^^) does not really make it so. But at least a bit of coziness is back even if it has not much to do with Dionysus.

Btw - I could swear that yesterday the announcement stated that the new event was available only on zz25. Apparently the announcement has been revised?

It is not a great idea to summarize the complete "tutorial" right at the beginning - people cannot remember it all when they finally need it. Also, again there is no wiki article ready for the event, the question mark ingame will lead to the Incantation Circle instead.

I will give feedback regarding the handling of the event later.

June Bug

Divine Envoy
It may be just my short attention span :smile: but I wish I could drag the "send units" box away from the "mission description" area. I have to close the send units, re-read the description, then re-send - sometimes more than once.

athenakazuo

Manticore
It may be just my short attention span :smile: but I wish I could drag the "send units" box away from the "mission description" area. I have to close the send units, re-read the description, then re-send - sometimes more than once.
It's not just you. I go back and forth so I can keep track of the unit descriptions so I know how much to send of each.
It would be nice to be able to send the units once you select the mission without having another box pop up to put the units in and then hover over the descriptions there.
As Draba Aspera said earlier, it is hard to remember everything from the tutorial at the beginning.

Arci

Community Manager
Grepolis Team
The wiki page is not ready yet, but we wanted to test the event as soon as possible. It will be created at a later point.

Speaking of the tutorial, thank you very much for the feedback! Please note we did an additional improvement:
You can now see the mission description in the "send units" popup window as well, you can find it at "Mission Info" as a seperate tooltip". This was added to improve visibility of task requirements, it should now be easier to have everything you need in mind directly.

The wiki page is not ready yet, but we wanted to test the event as soon as possible. It will be created at a later point.

We are also still waiting for the wiki article for "Divine Trials" (which has - under very very mysterious circumstances - been hidden in the FAQs of the old InnoGames support pages where nobody would ever have expected it, searched for it or found it. An absolutely incomprehensible decision to place it there instead in the wiki where it belongs.

1668686107940.png

(See 3. Events - would you ever have found it there?)

You can now see the mission description in the "send units" popup window as well, you can find it at "Mission Info" as a seperate tooltip". This was added to improve visibility of task requirements, it should now be easier to have everything you need in mind directly.

Correct. I noticed it and that one really is an improvement. Thanks!

However, there seem to be some issues in the hybrid app. On Tuesday, I could play Grepolis only via the app. Unexpectedly the event icon appeared on the screen, but clicking on it had no effect at all. I could not open the event window via app (although I can now play the missions via app once I had started the event in the browser). That´s inconvenient, especially when the event is not announced properly and comes as a surprise.

Also, via the new app, for some reason I am not able to see the unit tooltips in the mission window. I must switch to the "send units" popup window in order to see the unit tooltip - and that´s inconvenient, too.

---

On the other hand I have noticed there are many confused players asking what exactly they are supposed to do or not understanding why they have their missions failing all the time. The hints are quite clear, since the first sentence of the mission tells you which units you must send, while the second and third give you the choice between speed (finish more missions to get as many rewards as possible) or offerings (to get as many ranking points as possible)

But now comes the part many don´t seem to understand: Hint 2 and 3 of the mission description are 2 different options. You cannot fulfill all the requirements, because the number of units is limited - you must make a decision. And it is quite clear that players are confused or frustrated when they went for speed instead of offerings (or tried to combine the two) and then find that they have almost no points in the ranking although their missions were successful. Where the new event differs from the older Pandora event, the descriptions/explanations could have been a bit clearer (and a wiki article ready for the test on Beta would have been a good idea, as always).

Last edited:

ocarasupremo1

Minotaur
well the event is a copy of "pandora's box" is my opinion will be the same as I have about. I hate events that take up useful time that I could use to do more important things in the game or in life, events can't interfere with gameplay, I have a little free time reserved, but there comes an event that I need time to play that I don't have.

It´s not copy, there are several changes... and maybe that´s what is confusing for some players...

---

I have noticed that the Pallophoros got a very important letter back and is a Phallophoros again....^^
May I ask who thought it might be the perfect job for those guys to prepare portable platforms? *rotfl*

athenakazuo

Manticore
It´s not copy, there are several changes... and maybe that´s what is confusing for some players...

---

I have noticed that the Pallophoros got a very important letter back and is a Phallophoros again....^^
May I ask who thought it might be the perfect job for those guys to prepare portable platforms? *rotfl*
That was the typo that I noticed

I think this event follows the old Pandora's box, but I appreciate the various changes.

The most important changes are in not having to use own units, but those of the event. Furthermore, the fact of forcing you to choose between speed and classification makes it an interesting event.

What I do notice though is that I can never get the full reward from quests due to the population limit to send and this is frustrating. It makes the choice somewhat obligatory.

Finally, a timing evaluation, @Arci:

- imagining that a player remains disconnected from grepolis, on an average day, for 8 hours (sleeping, eating, working...), he will have 16 hours a day available to play.

16x14=224 hours of game during the event

The wait between the various rewards is 5 hours, so without using gold, 40x5=200 hours are lost for the 40 levels.

Each level requires you to complete 7 missions and therefore a total of 7x40=280 missions.
Since you have 24 hours left to complete 280 missions that means around 5 minutes and 6 seconds per mission.

All this seems a bit too much to me, perhaps it would be better to reduce the time between one reward and another to 4 hours so as to leave 13 minutes and 36 seconds for the completion of each mission and to be able to manage the breaks better

I agree - but they rather have you use gold for that purpose...^^

The most important changes are in not having to use own units, but those of the event.

You only had to use your own troops (and lots of them, btw...^^) in the first version of Pandora´s Box, in 2017. Since that was a serious issue, there were event troops from 2018 onward (and the event shop was canceled).

You only had to use your own troops (and lots of them, btw...^^) in the first version of Pandora´s Box, in 2017. Since that was a serious issue, there were event troops from 2018 onward (and the event shop was canceled).

I should have lost the Pandora's box in 2018 because I don't remember

Utuanahera

Calydonian Boar
I don't like time-consuming events. And certainly not at Christmas.
You might think game within game is great, but I don't gamble just to hit all the flashing icons and then enjoy the graphics and effects like a 3-year-old kid. If the event is nothing anyway, I can go into vacation mode. That's the only benefit I see ;)

At Christmas it should be quick, click once, event ready (per 24 hours)

greetins

I have been pointing out over the years that the placement of the list of troop packages...

1669200441769.png

..in the mission window is inconvenient. The mission window is unavailable/unaccessible for several hours after a box was closed or a procession started, and you cannot check the number of troop packages gained until the cooldown time is over. There is not even a counter or a tooltip on the event icon stating how many of the 10 daily packages of "volunteers" you have already gained.

Several changes have been made while Pandora´s box was morphing into Dionysos´ processions, and it´s a pity that the list of troop packages has not been moved to the main event window in the process.

athenakazuo

Manticore
I have been pointing out over the years that the placement of the list of troop packages...

View attachment 1425

..in the mission window is inconvenient. The mission window is unavailable/unaccessible for several hours after a box was closed or a procession started, and you cannot check the number of troop packages gained until the cooldown time is over. There is not even a counter or a tooltip on the event icon stating how many of the 10 daily packages of "volunteers" you have already gained.

Several changes have been made while Pandora´s box was morphing into Dionysos´ processions, and it´s a pity that the list of troop packages has not been moved to the main event window in the process.
I agree. It would be nice to be able to see what has been collected after midnight, especially since you do not get troops every time you do an action.
Perhaps, the volunteers with the groups can be displayed above the time left of the event, that way you can see the number of troops collected without waiting for a mission.

Last edited: