Again, there has been at least one unannounced change, this time concerning the messages. It is now possible to scroll through messages consisting of more than one page, while the respective pages are no longer clickable directly, just as in the ranking lists. I like the first part of the change, I don´t like the latter.

There is another issue with this change, though. The scrolling option in messages was part of Quack´s user script, and this option of his script has been broken by the change. This means that users of Quack Tools are no longer able to scroll through messages at all, because Quack´s scrolling option will no longer work for them because of the new in-game feature, while the new in-game feature won´t work for them as long as they have Quack Tools active.

Arci

Community Manager
Grepolis Team
Thanks, we'll investigate :)

From a first analysis, as our devs are working on improving old parts of the code, it may be that upgrading some "shared" components may have side effects on different parts of the game, and not always all of them are 100% predictable. This seems to be one.

About the "broken" part of the script, if the players ask us to implement some of the scripts' features to have them native on the game, it is to be expected that those exact same features provided by the scripts will no longer properly work.

That said, thanks again for the feedback!

Well, I don´t want to comment on those "side effects" and their predictability - although some of my IT colleagues found much to say about it when we met for lunch three hours ago.

---

As it seems, not only user script functions have been broken, but there are lots of additional issues within the inbox and especially within message threads containing more than 1 page - old and new messages got all mixed up in those conversations, it´s a complete mess - you might start off with a current conversation on page 1 and will find parts of another conversation you had in March with another person on page 2 of that same message, and vice versa.
I don´t know where to start at the moment - I guess we will collect screenshots and bug descriptions in the German forum over the weekend to sort out what´s wrong.

Please make sure that whatever "code improvement" has caused that chaos is put on hold and will not land on the live markets when 2.203 is rolled out there.

Last edited:
It´s quite easy to reproduce.

Open the inbox, and open the first message containing several pages and scroll through them. You will see all messages of that thread complete and in their correct order.

Close the message and open the next message containing more than one page and scroll through the message. While scrolling, you will find the correct conversation on page 1 of that message; from page 2 onward, however, you will find page 2 (and following) of the first message you had opened and scrolled through - and this will happen for every message containing more than one page you open afterwards. As it seems, the content of the first page of a message is always loaded correctly, but the scroll function will add the following pages from the cache where the pages of the first message still remain.

Arci

Community Manager
Grepolis Team
Have you tried to clear your cache once and testing it again without userscripts active?

I'm testing with two message threads of 2 pages each and it works everytime.

Yes, cleaning the cache will work for the moment, but you would have to do it every time. F5 etc. doesn´t do the job.

Open the inbox, and open the first message containing several pages

When I said "several" I meant more than two...^^

The message thread on top of my zz13 inbox, for example, has 15 pages. Whenever I scroll through some of those pages and then open the second message (which has two pages), the first page of that second message looks fine, while the second page shows the second page of the first message. And it´s the same in all messages with more than one page I open afterwards.

And I am not the only one experiencing this issue, we have been discussing it at length in the German forum. The bug seems to have been acknowledged, but the feature will be rolled out with update 2.202 (!) on the live markets nonetheless - at least that´s the information provided by Antimacht earlier this evening.

I don´t use user scripts on Beta, as you should know by now.

Arci

Community Manager
Grepolis Team
Thank you for the additional info! :)
I can confirm Antimacht already reported it to our devs.

Yes, and I can confirm that the devs do not understand that a higher priority should have been assigned to that issue. When I still played on live worlds, and as an alliance leader or founder in most cases, I used to have quite a number of multi-paged message threads each day - advising, answering questions or just lending my ear to players´ real life problems, while having diplomatic talks in other message threads, and of course coordinating attacks and defences or receiving battle reports in others.

We only noticed the issue on Beta so early, because it was/is so evident when the language and the topic of the conversation changed on page 2. But just imagine you have all message threads in the same language, and most of them containing battle reports, attack arrival times, etc - players will not even notice at first that the contents of the messages got mixed up when they use the faulty scrolling feature, and that will most likely result in some chaos.

I can only plead once again: Take your time and fix this issue before rolling it out on the live markets tomorrow. The game is all about communication, and even without any additional bugs the means of ingame-communication are conceived to be uncomfortably limited and inadequate, as the sheer number of ideas and suggestions regarding improvements of ingame messaging and alliance forums might prove. This bug will cause a lot of (avoidable) additional anger and discontent, as soon as the players will feel its negative impact.

Last edited:

malgai

Hera
Yes, and I can confirm that the devs do not understand that a higher priority should have been assigned to that issue. When I still played on live worlds, and as an alliance leader or founder in most cases, I used to have quite a number of multi-paged message threads each day - advising, answering questions or just lending my ear to players´ real life problems, while having diplomatic talks in other message threads, and of course coordinating attacks and defences or receiving battle reports in others.

We only noticed the issue on Beta so early, because it was/is so evident when the language and the topic of the conversation changed on page 2. But just imagine you have all message threads in the same language, and most of them containing battle reports, attack arrival times, etc - players will not even notice at first that the contents of the messages got mixed up when they use the faulty scrolling feature, and that will most likely result in some chaos.

I can only plead once again: Take your time and fix this issue before rolling it out on the live markets tomorrow. The game is all about communication, and even without any additional bugs the means of ingame-communication are conceived to be uncomfortably limited and inadequate, as the sheer number of ideas and suggestions regarding improvements of ingame messaging and alliance forums might prove. This bug will cause a lot of (avoidable) additional anger and discontent, as soon as the players will feel its negative impact.

I completely agree with this in every single point. I already stated my opinion to the "minor priority" in the german thread with more words than I do now, but actually this is a major problem, not just a minor one. Why? Look above.

Again, there has been at least one unannounced change, this time concerning the messages. It is now possible to scroll through messages consisting of more than one page, while the respective pages are no longer clickable directly, just as in the ranking lists. I like the first part of the change, I don´t like the latter.

There is another issue with this change, though. The scrolling option in messages was part of Quack´s user script, and this option of his script has been broken by the change. This means that users of Quack Tools are no longer able to scroll through messages at all, because Quack´s scrolling option will no longer work for them because of the new in-game feature, while the new in-game feature won´t work for them as long as they have Quack Tools active.

Hi, I'm an Italian user and I'm working on some scripts that had some difficulties including the Dio-tools.

Could I know which function speaks of the Quack?

You are using the name "iranes" in the German forum, correct? Thanks for your efforts!

One of the user scripts added a button "All" to the page navigation in messages. Using that button users could scroll through multi-paged messages - according to Buffysara, that function is part of Quack Tools (I cannot check it but I trust her^^);:

nmfxucfvg74.jpg

The screenshot is hers - you can contact her here or in the German forum if you need further information.

Yes, I am iranes in the German forum. The profile picture and the signature are the real distinctions that I have in common on the various forums. Thanks, contact immediately.

I am working in an attempt to incorporate some quack functions into the flask to avoid success as with the Diony script